USS Teddy Roosevelt SSBN-600 Second Version Patch

(No reviews yet) Write a Review
5.00 (in)
4.75 (in)
0.08 (in)
Sew On
Cut Edge
  • USS Teddy Roosevelt SSBN-600 Second Version Patch
  • USS Teddy Roosevelt SSBN-600 Second Version Patch | Center Detail
  • USS Teddy Roosevelt SSBN-600 Second Version Patch | Upper Left Quadrant
  • USS Teddy Roosevelt SSBN-600 Second Version Patch | Upper Right Quadrant
  • USS Teddy Roosevelt SSBN-600 Second Version Patch | Lower Left Quadrant
  • USS Teddy Roosevelt SSBN-600 Second Version Patch | Lower Right Quadrant


SSBN-600 USS TEDDY ROOSEVELT Five days after commissioning with components initially assembled for the Skipjack-class nuclear attack submarine SCAMP (SSN-588), USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT (SSBN-600) departed Mare Island, bound for the east coast. On 7 March, she became the first fleet ballistic missile submarine (FBM) to transit the Panama Canal. Four days later, she arrived at Cape Canaveral, Florida. After successfully firing her first Polaris A-1 missile on 20 March and completing her shakedown training, the submarine arrived at Groton, CT on 1 May for post-shakedown availability at the Electric Boat Co. yard. She completed those repairs on 24 June and departed Groton, bound for Charleston, S.C. THEODORE ROOSEVELT stopped at Norfolk, VA along the way and arrived at Charleston on 7 July. Between 7 and 19 July, she loaded Polaris missiles at the Naval Ammunition Depot, Charleston, and made all other preparations for her first deployment. On the 19th, she stood out of Charleston on her first deterrent patrol. She concluded that patrol on 23 September at the FBM base at Holy Loch, Scotland. Over the next three and one-half years, the submarine made 15 more deterrent patrols, departing from and returning to the Holy Loch base in each instance. Late in the spring of 1965, she departed Holy Loch on her 17th and final patrol of the deployment. She concluded that patrol and the deployment when she arrived in Charleston on 15 June. She unloaded her 16 Polaris missiles and then departed Charleston for New London, CT where she arrived on 26 June and entered the EB yard for an extensive overhaul and refueling the following month. During this yard period her weapons system was modified to allow her to carry the Polaris A-3 missile. Returning to Holy Loch from her 21st patrol in March 1968, THEODORE ROOSEVELT ran aground off the western coast of Scotland. After dry-docking for temporary correction of the damage, she departed Holy Loch on 5 April to return to the United States for permanent repairs. Those repairs were delayed due to labor disputes and THEODORE ROOSEVELT didn't leave the yard until mid-October. After shakedown and sea-trials she once again deployed to Holy Loch in early 1969. In mid-June, 1974 THEODORE ROOSEVELT's homeport was reassigned to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii arriving 4 November after transiting the Panama Canal and missile load-out in Bangor, Washington. THEODORE ROOSEVELT conducted deterrent patrols from the advance base at Guam through the late '70s. She was decommissioned 28 February 1981 and disposed of 3 April 1995 through SRP at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard Keel laid down by Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Vallejo, CA 20MAY58; Launched: 3OCT59; Sponsored by Mrs. Alice R. Longworth; Commissioned: 13FEB61 with Cdr William E. Sims [B]; Cdr Oliver H. Perry [G]; in command; Decommissioned: 28FEB81: Struck from the List 24MAR95; Disposed of through SRP at PSNS 3APR95
View AllClose